Saturday, August 27, 2011

If I had to do it today...Part I

We have some good friends who are about to embark on the great, nail biting, exciting, stressful, rewarding, marriage testing experience of building a house. I have never done it myself...but those are just a few emotions that I have heard people go through. My friend mentioned that she would like a list of what I would do if I was building a house. That has had me thinking all week. I mean, I walk around my house and I know what I would change here, but to start from scratch...well, her husband will be sorry that she asked because the possibilities are endless...

So, after thinking on this topic for a week this is the list I came up with.

1. A kitchen sink with a view - it could be a window or looking out into the kitchen...whatever. I just know now that I stare at a very unfortunate tile back splash now and it's like having a view of a brick wall outside your window. I stand at that sink a lot, and a view of something other than the wall would be great.


picture from Country Living

2. Butcher block or wood counter top in the kitchen - In our old house we had butcher block...and we bought the house at the height of the granite rage. We priced out getting granite, but never did. We just stained the bare butcher block and it looked great. I thought I was missing out because we didn't have granite. Well, in our current house now we have granite...and let me tell you how much I miss my old counter tops....call me crazy, but I don't like my granite...I never would have felt this way if I never experienced butcher block. I feel like I am going to break my dishes when I set them on the counter and our granite is polished, so every little smudge shows and you really have to buff it to get it clean.

I think some stone surface is great. It's useful for hot pans and chopping, but I think I would have a combination of the two...wood and stone. Or maybe all wood...I loved it that much.



photos courtesy of cottage living


3. Open shelving - It is just so inviting...a friend comes over and they can help themselves to a coffee cup and they don't have to go on a scavenger hunt to kind one. I just like it.





photos from cottage living


4. A built-in place for the trash can. My sister-in-laws parent's retired and built their dream house...they hit the nail on the head when it comes to the trash cans. It is a pull out base cabinet on rollers that holds 2 large trash cans. It is the whole height and depth of their base cabinets. They love to cook and entertain, so it really is useful when they have a lot of people over. I feel like I am always emptying the trash in front of my guests because it gets so full so fast. And who really wants their trash can out in the open anyway?

It's similar to this, but even better. There is no drawer above it, so the cabinet is even taller, so that means taller trash cans.

5. A dutch door- These remind of the church nursery when I was a child. Parents can see in but the kids can't get out. As far as having them in my house, well, I just like them. I think it adds some character. I do realize I live in the hot, mosquito-infested South...but for March and October, this sure would be nice.


The screen door solves my mosquito problem.


6. A basement- We don't have many basements here in Memphis (at least not in the newer houses). Whenever I watch Candice Olson, she is always designing a basement and I am so envious...it's like a whole other house down there. Another bonus (and I learned this from my dad) it is a constant 55 degrees underground. So, if our house sat over a basement that was 55 degrees constantly...that would do wonders for our utility bill. Here is a peek of what Candice could do to your basement...



yes, I am jealous of all you northerners that could have this...

photos via hgtv


7. A laundry shoot - I haven't seen one of these in a really long time, why not? Did people just say "okay, I don't mind carrying down the entire house full of clothes every time they do laundry." I remember playing at a friend's house when I was younger and they had one. I thought it was the best...of course we were throwing other things down the shoot other than clothes, but still. I know that my kids could easily learn to put their laundry in there...of course this doesn't solve the problem of getting it all back upstairs once its all clean.


8. Craft Room - I can only imagine how great it would be to walk into one room and have everything you need at your fingertips, and if you have to leave things out for awhile because you are in the middle of a project, then it's okay because that's what the craft room is for. It would also be fun for our kids to just go in there and make something...and not worry about the mess. A place to wrap presents, sew, use a hot glue gun, etc. It would all be in one place instead of stored in various bins all over the house. It doesn't have to be as fancy as the rooms below, just a room to store the stuff and a work surface, but while I'm dreaming, these pictures will do just fine.


photo from country living

photo courtesy of Heather Bailey


I have about 9 other things on my list, but for the sake of the time it takes to post, I am doing this in two parts. Part II will be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment